Publishing stories of fascinating Prairie People and Unsung Heroes

Welcome to the blog of Deana Driver - author, editor, and publisher of DriverWorks Ink, a book publishing company based in Saskatchewan. We publish stories of inspiring, fascinating Prairie people and unsung Canadian heroes - written by Prairie authors including Deana Driver. We also publish genres of healing and wellness, humour, children's fiction, and rural poetry. Visit our website to learn more about our books.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

More Never Leave Your Wingman books ordered!

We`ve just ordered more copies of Never Leave Your Wingman: Dionne and Graham Warner`s Story of Hope by Deana J. Driver! The first printing is almost sold out after only six months!

It`s very exciting to know that people are enjoying this fascinating true story. It`s even better knowing that Dionne and Graham Warner`s journey of courage, hope and love - in the face of Dionne`s seventh cancer diagnosis - is helping so many people.

Thank you to everyone who has read this amazing book so far. We invite those of you who wish to order Never Leave Your Wingman to order a signed copy (signed by author Deana Driver as well as by Dionne and Graham) from our website: www.driverworks.ca.

If you wish, you can post your positive comments about the book on our DriverWorks Ink Facebook page or you can post a favourable review or rate the book (five stars would be lovely, thanks) on the Chapters Indigo website - the main Canadian bookstore that is selling the book.

Here an excerpt from the Never Leave Your Wingman book:
         
On Wednesday evening, March 28, 2001 the emergency-room doctor came into Dionne’s room and she knew immediately that something was wrong. The doctor quickly noticed that Graham was not in the room and asked Dionne, ‘Where is your fiancĂ©?’
Dionne had insisted that Graham keep with his regular Wednesday evening schedule and have supper with his children. “He was hesitant to go but I told him, ‘Just go. I’ll be fine on my own. This is time with your kids and it is very important for you to do this.’ ”
When Dionne told the doctor that Graham was out with his children, the doctor said he’d come back later when Graham was there, but Dionne would not hear of it. “I said, ‘No, you obviously came in to tell me something.’
“He said, ‘I don’t think you should be alone when I tell you this.’
“I said, ‘Just tell me, so I can have some time to go through this myself to figure out what I’m going to do next.’ I knew it could not be good news.”
Finally, the doctor relented and told Dionne that he still could not find out what was causing her pain, “but with this one other test that I did, I did not expect to find what I did.”
“Well, what is it?” Dionne asked him.
“You have liver cancer.”...
… When Graham returned after supper, Dionne told him the news. It was one of the most memorable moments of her life. “I told him that he didn’t have to marry me. I would go back to Ontario. My family was there and I’d be okay. He didn’t have to worry about this and take all of this on himself. And Graham, the man that he is, said, ‘You never leave your wingman.’
“It took my breath away. He told me, ‘I could get sick with cancer. Would you leave me?’ I said, ‘No – but women are wired differently.’ ”
Graham repeated, “I’m not going anywhere. We’ll get through this together.”
Dionne called her family again and told them she would not be moving back to Ontario. “I’m going to stick it out here. Graham and I will get through this together. We’re going to find a good doctor here to look after me.’
“I knew I’d be okay,” she says. “Regina would be my new home and I’d be okay.”



Author Deana Driver (left) with Dionne and Graham Warner


No comments:

Post a Comment